- August 11, 2020
- Posted by: Editor
- Category: Law
One of the easiest ways of immigration to Canada is by applying for a work visa. The need for highly skilled workers correlated with the aging population a few years ago has determined the Canadian government take action and ease the conditions under which foreign citizens can move here temporarily or even permanently.
If you want to migrate to Canada and are considering a work visa, our lawyers can help you. You can rely on us for assistance in obtaining a work visa for Canada or even a permanent residence card under one of the special programs developed by the central authorities.
Types of work permits in Canada
A foreign citizen can obtain one of the two work permits for Canada. The first one is the open work visa and the second is the employer-specific work visa for Canada. The possibilities of moving here based on one of these two types of employment permits can be explained in detail by our immigration lawyer in Canada.
Conditions for applying for a work visa in Canada
While every type of Canadian work visa has its own requirements, the conditions for applying for them are the same and imply:
- to have a Canadian company to work for which can be found through different job postings;
- the type of work the future employee will perform (it usually must be a great need for the respective field);
- the location of the job (each province has its own employer-specific work visa);
- the duration of the work permit which can be temporary or permanent.
Our immigration lawyers in Canada offer more information on the requirements that need to be met in order to apply for a work visa.
The open work visa for Canada
The Canadian open work permit can be obtained through the Immigration Office and is usually issued for a limited period. It also provides the opportunity of working for any employer.
The open work visa for Canada is divided into restricted and unrestricted permits with the difference that there are no impositions with respect to the job and location in the case of unrestricted work visas.
There are various programs under which an open work visa for Canada can be obtained and among them, we mention the following:
- the regular work permit;
- the temporary work visas for spouses or partners (this requires for one of the spouses to already live in Canada);
- the temporary residence permit;
- the post-graduation work visa;
- the World Youth Program;
- the birding open work visa;
- the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Spousal Program.
If you want to apply for a work visa under any of these programs, our Canada immigration law firm can assist you through the formalities.
The restricted work visa in Canada
Those who plan to migrate to Canada based on restricted work visas will need to find an employer first. Their work permits will be issued under the specific conditions imposed by the respective company, will perform the activities they come for under the requirements of the employment contract and in the location(s) stipulated in the agreement.
If you need assistance in obtaining a work permit, our immigration attorney in Canada is at your disposal with various services, among which document preparation and submission with the local authorities.
When it comes to the administrative body issuing work visas for Canada, this is the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) which works in close collaboration with the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) which makes sure that the job offers for permanent residents and citizens of Canada do not overlap with those for foreign job seekers.
Special work visa programs for Canada
Another option for foreign citizens to come to Canada based on work permits are the special programs which are developed at provincial levels or target specific categories of workers. Among these are:
- the Provincial Nomination schemes;
- the Canadian Experience Class programs;
- the Federal Skilled Trades Class schemes;
- the Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs Classes.
Our immigration lawyers in Canada can offer more information on these special types of work visas.
Number of immigrants in Canada at the level of 2019
In 2019, the number of foreign citizens immigrating to Canada by province was as follows:
- the largest number of immigrants came to Ontario – 139,071 citizens;
- Quebec was the second province preferred by 44,856 foreigners;
- British Columbia and Alberta also attracted a little more than 40,000 immigrants;
- 15,918 foreign citizens relocated to the province of Manitoba.
If you are interested in immigration by applying for a work visa for Canada and need assistance, please contact our lawyers.